India to deploy aircraft for anti-piracy in the Seychelles
New Delhi: In wake of increasing threats
from sea pirates, India will soon deploy a maritime
surveillance aircraft in the Seychelles to carry out
reconnaissance over its waters and piracy-infested areas of
the Gulf of Aden.
India had promised the Seychelles one Dornier along with
two Chetak helicopters in June last year during the visit of
Defence Minister A K Antony to the Island nation.
The Dornier will soon leave the Indian shores to carry
out its duties in Seychelles, Navy officials said here.
In 2009 also, the Indian Navy had deployed one of its
offshore patrol vessels--INS Savitri--along with a detachment
of marine commandos and Chetak helicopter in the Seychelles to
guard the Indian Ocean Region (IOR).
After the pirates started moving away from Somalia due
to increased presence of Navies in the Gulf of Aden, India has
deployed its Navy and the Coast Guard to look after the
Central Arabian Sea and adjoining areas.
To deter, dissuade and prevent hijackings in the Gulf
of Aden, the Indian Navy has deployed a warship continuously
in the Gulf of Aden since October, 2008.
A couple of pirate mother vessels have also been
apprehended and destroyed by the Navy past near Lakshadweep
Islands in the last fortnight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'