India to find out cemeteries of Bangladesh liberation war martyrs
Agartala: A Bangladeshi delegation was on Wednesday assured in a district collector level meeting that an effort would be made to find out the graves of the fighters who died during the 1971 Liberation War of Bangladesh against Pakistan.
"If Bangladesh gives us a list of cemeteries and possible locations, we would definitely try to find them with their help and hand over the mortal remains to them," West Tripura District Magistrate Kiran Gitte said after today`s meeting.
A two-day Indo-Bangla district collector level meeting began here today to discuss identification of cemeteries of the soldiers of the liberation war.
More than 2,000 warrior of Bangladesh are believed to be buried in remote areas of Indian border states like Tripura, Meghalaya, Assam and West Bengal in 1971.
Tripura, having a 856 km long border with the neighbouring country, was the war headquarters of Bangladesh Liberation War. The state also accommodated 16 lakh refugees from that country in the state when its own population was 15 lakh.
While Gitte led the Indian delegation at the meeting, the Bangladesh side was led by Brahmanbaria district`s Deputy Commissioner Nur Mohammad Majumder.
The meeting, which would be concluded tomorrow, would also discuss issues like barbed wire fencing, smuggling and infiltration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why