‘India to get Russian nuclear attack sub in days’
Moscow: Indian Navy is set to receive a
major boost when the much-awaited Russian `Nerpa` nuclear
attack submarine would join its fleet "in the next few days"
on a 10-year lease worth USD 920 million.
The Akula-II class Nerpa nuclear submarine has finished
sea trials and is now ready to be leased to the Indian navy in
the next few days, a Russian engineer said today.
"The submarine is now fully ready to carry out its tasks,"
a senior executive at the Amur Shipyard, where the submarine
was built, was quoted as saying by RIA Novosti news agency.
"It will be handed over before the end of the year," the
unnamed official said.
The submarine, capable of remaining underwater for months
will be rechristened as `INS Chakra` and it would be for the
first time in more than two decades that the Indian Navy would
have a nuclear attack submarine.
When Russia makes the delivery, it will make India only
the sixth operator of nuclear submarines in the world, the
The ten-year lease is worth USD 920 million, it said.
The submarine deal had figured during Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh`s visit to Russia earlier this month.
The Nerpa, an Akula II-class attack submarine, had
originally been scheduled for delivery in 2008 but an accident
during sea trials on November 8 that year forced the Russian
authorities to put it on hold.
Twenty people, mostly civilians, were killed when a fire
-suppressant gas was released on the Nerpa during shakedown
trials, in one of Russia`s worst naval accidents.
The Akula-II class submarines are equipped with 28
nuclear-capable cruise missiles with a striking range of 3,000
km. The Indian version is reportedly expected to be armed with
the 300-km Club nuclear-capable missiles.
India had funded the completion of the Nerpa nuclear
submarine at Amur Shipyard before the collapse of the Soviet
Union in 1991.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray