India to help Afghanistan develop stone industry
Jaipur: India will provide technical support to Afghanistan to develop its stone and marble industry.
The chief executive officer of the Centre for Development of Stones, RK Gupta, on Friday said there was huge untapped potential for development of stone industry in Afghanistan and India would provide all possible support in this effort.
He said the Centre had been providing similar help to many other countries.
"There are some amazing stones in Afghanistan which can be mined and processed with the help of new machines and technologies," Gupta said after meeting a delegation from Afghanistan at the "India Stonemart 2013" event here.
"We would like to see a strong participation of manufacturers from your country in the next Stonemart in 2015," Gupta told the delegation from Afghanistan.
The Centre has offered assistance to Afghanistan in association with the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO).
Sunil Arora, additional chief secretary (industries) and chairman, Rajasthan State Industrial Development and Investment Corporation (RIICO), interacted with several participants at the event organised at Sitapura industrial area here.
Eminent architects from different parts of the country as well as from Jaipur visited the fair to update their knowledge about the latest stone and stone products on display and to establish direct linkages with the Industry. Some of them brought their clients along with them.
Deepak Ballani, national programme officer, UNIDO-ICAMT, said a rehabilitation package had been made for Afghanistan nearly three years ago, but it could not be implemented because of the conflict in that country.
"The plan was taken up recently and this visit is the first step in that direction," he said.
Under the plan, nearly USD 2 million will be used to help develop the stone industry in Afghanistan. The plan would involve technology transfer, conducting a geological survey on the actual amount of reserves and imparting of skills.
"In the first phase about 40-50 entrepreneurs from the stone industry of Afghanistan will be selected and we would take them through a programme to analyse their processes, help in mechanisation and provide marketing help as well," Ballani said.
Mohammad Ibrahim Shams, vice president for investment at Afghanistan Investment Support Agency, said the government of Afghanistan had already announced a package of incentives for investors and sought the help of UNIDO for development of Industrial parks and different stone sectors in the country.
"This is key to promoting the industry in Afghanistan as without the necessary infrastructure it would be difficult for the industry to grow," Shams said.
"We are seeking joint ventures from Indian companies in areas of mining and processing so that we can attain our full potential and offer our marble to the world," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt