India to increase troops if China does so in Ladakh
New Delhi: India will increase the number of its troops if the Chinese People`s Liberation Army (PLA) enhances the strength of its soldiers in the Indian territory of Daulat Beg Oldi (DBO) sector in eastern Ladakh, government sources said Thursday.
All the formations of the Army from the Leh-based 14 Corps to the 3 Corps in Northeast deployed along the China border are also on alert to check any attempt by the PLA troops to enter Indian territory, they said.
A platoon of Chinese troops had intruded into the Indian territory on April 15 and erected its tents there claiming that they are well within their area after which India also stationed a small military camp of Army and ITBP troops near their location.
At the moment, the Army has been told to keep an eye on the movement of Chineese troops and adopt a "non-aggressive approach" in the area but if the PLA increases its troops size, the force will also increase its numbers there, the sources said.
Around 30 Chinese troops are based in two locations including a tented area and another place where the soldiers of the two sides are facing each other with banners in their hands, they said.
The sources said the Chinese troops are from the Border Defence Regiment of the PLA which is located 25 kms north of the location where they have erected their tents.
The Chinese side, they said, is believed to be getting its supplies from its parent unit through the Raki Nala which flows from Chinese side into the Indian side.
The Chinese troops are armed with assault rifles and no heavy weapon has been seen so far with them. They also have two small vehicles for supporting their movement, the sources said.
They said the Indian side may seek a flag meeting with the Chinese but so far it has not been decided.
The two sides have already had two rounds of flag meetings without any success as the Chinese troops have not yet left from there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...