‘India to match Chinese military infra build up’
New Delhi: Expressing concern over Chinese
military infrastructure buildup, Defence Minister A K Antony
on Tuesday said India was working to match it to protect the
country`s territory and build an effective deterrence.
"China is expanding its military capabilities and their
infrastructure in the border area is also increasing
substantially and we are concerned about that," he said.
The Minister made these remarks when asked about India`s
response to Chinese military modernization in the Eastern and
"We have been improving our infrastructure and military
capabilities in the eastern sector. We are strengthening our
military capability and infrastructure not for confrontation,
but to protect our territory and also to build an effective
deterrence. So that we can protect every inch of Indian
territory," Antony said.
India has been deploying its frontline fighter aircraft
Sukhoi-30 MKIs on its airbases along the Chinese border in the
North-East and has raised two Mountain Divisions there.
Ultra light howitzers and tanks under new armoured
formations are also planned to be deployed in the region.
Asked about the existing defence ties with China, Antony
said the Defence Secretary-level talks between the two sides
will be held next year.
"Defence exchanges with China are again resuming. I hope
the defence dialogue (between the two nations) at the Defence
Secretary-level will again resume next years," Antony told
reporters here on the sidelines of Fifth South Asia
India and China will hold the Annual Defence Dialogue
(ADD) in January next year during which the two sides are
expected to discuss resumption of their joint army exercise
and the pending border issues between them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?