India to open a Consulate at Bali
New Delhi: In an effort to provide greater impetus to its commercial ties with Indonesia, India will open a Consulate at Bali.
A meeting of the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh approved the opening of the Consulate General of India and creation of four India-based posts including that of Consul General in the level of joint secretary, besides six
"The opening of the Consulate General of India in Bali will strengthen India`s traditional bonds with Indonesia and also improve its protocol, commercial and consular presence in
the island," an official spokesperson said.
This would provide impetus to commercial interaction between India and the target region in Indonesia, she said.
The CGI in Bali would also be beneficial to the local PIO community, which comprises over 230 families within Bali itself, apart from some more Indian and PIO families in
neighbouring East and South Kalimantan.
The proposed Consulate would entail an annual recurring expenditure of Rs 1.77 crore. In addition, there shall be one time expenditure of Rs 33 lakh, she said.
An Indian Cultural Centre was established in Bali in 2004 which has done exemplary work in propagating yoga, Indian culture and performing arts.
With increasing popularity of Bali as a holiday destination, the number of Indian tourists going there has also swelled to about 20,000 every year. This has put enormous
pressure on the meagre resources of the Indian Cultural Centre in Bali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- 'China wants to extend its Nepal rail link to India'
- Senate panel conditions $300 mn aid to Pakistan for action on Haqqani
- IPL 2016: Kolkata Knight Riders take on Sunrisers Hyderabad in Eliminator - Preview
- Asaduddin Owaisi vs common man: High-voltage verbal spat over Akbaruddin Owaisi's comments against Hindus
- Gaya road rage: Bail plea of Rocky Yadav's father Bindi Yadav rejected