India to preside over UNSC after 19 years
United Nations: After a gap of 19 years,
India will assume the monthly presidency of the UN Security
Council on August 1.
India, which is a temporary member of the Council, last
held that position in December 1992.
Besides the regular work of Council, India will organise
a debate on peacekeeping.
August, however, is also what is informally called the
vacation period at the UN when many diplomats take a break.
Hardeep Singh Puri, India`s envoy to the UN, noted that
it could be a "relaxed" month but India would have to deal
with the normal agenda of the Council as well as organise the
15-member body, if a crisis was to occur.
On the normal agenda, Puri stressed that the conflicts
in Sudan and Libya needed attention of the international
"Military operations continue in Libya," the envoy said,
adding that the Council would have to observe how the
situation develops during the month of Ramadan.
The thematic debate, he added, would "take stock of
peacekeeping operations and how they are headed".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery