India to preside over UNSC after 19 years
United Nations: After a gap of 19 years,
India will assume the monthly presidency of the UN Security
Council on August 1.
India, which is a temporary member of the Council, last
held that position in December 1992.
Besides the regular work of Council, India will organise
a debate on peacekeeping.
August, however, is also what is informally called the
vacation period at the UN when many diplomats take a break.
Hardeep Singh Puri, India`s envoy to the UN, noted that
it could be a "relaxed" month but India would have to deal
with the normal agenda of the Council as well as organise the
15-member body, if a crisis was to occur.
On the normal agenda, Puri stressed that the conflicts
in Sudan and Libya needed attention of the international
"Military operations continue in Libya," the envoy said,
adding that the Council would have to observe how the
situation develops during the month of Ramadan.
The thematic debate, he added, would "take stock of
peacekeeping operations and how they are headed".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?