India to press for UN reforms: Vice President Ansari
On Board Special Aircraft: As he embarked on the first visit to Peru and Cuba by a Vice President, Hamid Ansari today said India will press for reforms in the UN Security Council as the current dispensation is "inadequate". "Our agenda about restructuring of the United Nations has always been consistent. We feel the present arrangement is inadequate to the requirements of the developing situation," Ansari told reporters accompanying him.
Indicating that reforms of the UN is a long-term affair, he said, "We are aware that those who are in power will not easily give in...But we will keep up the efforts."
Ansari is visiting mineral-rich Peru and Communist Cuba as part of India`s thrust towards Latin America.
The eight-day official visit will also take Ansari to Britain, where he will deliver a lecture at the Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies on "Identity and Citizenship".
Several agreements, including one on setting up a Joint Commission and another in the area of culture, are expected to be signed during the three-day visit to Peru.
India-Peru relations have traditionally been cordial and friendly and Lima is a member of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) and G-77, while Cuba supports India`s inclusion as a permanent member in a restructured UN Security Council.
Ansari said Peru is "increasingly a major factor in the global economy" and is the fastest growing economy in Latin America. As India is increasingly reaching out to Latin America, he said, "the region is as relevant to us as Africa and Australia".
"At a time when the world is contracting, there is no such thing as a far-off country...Every country has potential and it can be a partner in cooperation."
Ansari did not agree with the assumption that India is following China by doing diplomacy through trade. He said India`s engagement with various countries was of a "comprehensive" nature.
Despite India and Cuba enjoying deep, enduring and historical relations as founding members of NAM, Ansari`s visit to Havana during October 29-30 is the first VVIP trip to the Communist country.
"I am myself surprised that there have been so few high level visits to Cuba," said Ansari, a former diplomat. He recalled how then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi had instructed officials to take care of Fidel Castro at the 1983 NAM summit in New Delhi when Cuba handed over the leadership of the grouping to India.
Ansari noted the extensive involvement of state-owned ONGC Videsh Limited in Cuba, Mexico and Venezula. Hailing the way Cuba has worked since its revolution, he said, "It has sailed its craft in adverse weather for a very very long time."
The reference was apparently to the problems and adversities suffered by Cuba due to US sanctions over the decades.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm