India to send more troops to Kabul, Kathmandu
New Delhi: India today decided to rush 40 ITBP commandos to strife-torn Afghanistan for protection of its people and assets while its Embassy in Nepal will be fortified following a threat of a Lashkar-e-Taiba(LeT) attack.
The decisions to have more commando presence were taken
following a review of the security for Indian assets by the
Government in the wake of the audacious attack in Kabul last
month on places frequented by Indians and the LeT threat to
the mission in Kathmandu, an official said.
The government is also contemplating to review security
in the Indian Embassy in Colombo.
"Though there is no specific threat to Colombo mission
which is well guarded, we will review security there too," an
official said. The mission is guarded by BSF personnel.
The Indo-Tibetan Border Police(ITBP) commandos would
leave for Kabul on Saturday, the official said.
The official said while some would be deployed at Indian
missions, a few others would be stationed in guest houses
frequently used by Indians involved in development work.
A team of central security agencies would also leave for
Afghanistan shortly to review the security situation.
Based on the report filed by the team, sources said the
government would decide whether to scale up the deployment
of Indian security personnel.
National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon also visited
Kabul last week to review the situation.
An official said the decision to fortify the Indian
Embassy in Kathmandu was taken following Intelligence inputs
that Pakistan-based LeT may try to target it and diplomats.
"We have reviewed the security after the Intelligence
inputs and have decided to fortify the Embassy in Kathmandu
which include deployment of more commandos and putting in
place more security measures," the official said. The Embassy
is guarded by commandos of Central Industrial Security Force.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed