India to set up two new consulates in Sri Lanka
Colombo: Seeking to give a further boost to
bilateral friendly ties, India will set up two new consulates
in Sri Lanka`s Jaffna and Hambantota cities.
The two sides had agreed on this during President Mahinda
Rajapaksa`s visit to India in June. "In order to implement and
formalise this understanding, an Exchange of Notes took place
today between Foreign Secretary C R Jayasinghe and (Indian)
High Commissioner Ashok K Kantha," an official statement said.
It is expected that the two Consulates General of India
in Jaffna and Hambantota will be set up in the near future, it
Following talks between Rajapaksa and Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh in Delhi, the two countries had agreed on
establishing the consulates of India in Jaffna and Hambantota,
a coastal city in the south of Sri Lanka.
Singh had also welcomed Sri Lanka`s interest in
establishing a further post in India, in addition to the
existing ones in Chennai and Mumbai functioning under the High
Commission of Colombo in New Delhi, the statement noted.
"It has accordingly been agreed that the consular
district of the proposed Consulate General of India in Jaffna
would cover the five districts of the Northern Province of Sri
Lanka, namely, Jaffna, Kilinochchi, Mullaitivu, Vavuniya and
"The consular district of the proposed Consulate General
of India in Hambantota would cover the districts of Galle,
Matara, Hambantota and Moneragala," it said, adding
Moneragala will be transferred from the consular district
of the existing Assistant High Commission of India in Kandy.
It has also been agreed that any expansion of the
consular districts of the proposed Consulates General could be
considered subsequently through mutual consent, the statement
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city