India to soon get new frigate fitted with BrahMos
New Delhi: India will get a new frigate
equipped with the BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles from
Russia within six to eight months.
"During his visit to Russia, Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal
Verma reviewed the progress of the Talwar Class follow-on
warships, under construction at the Yantar shipyard there and
was reassured that the first ship `Teg` would commence trials
shortly and be delivered in six to eight months," the Navy
said in a release here.
The Navy chief returned on July 18 from Russia after a
six-day visit during which he took stock of all the major
Indian navy projects undergoing there.
The new frigates namely `Teg`, `Teer` and `Trikand`
are follow ons of the three Talwar Class warships built for
India by Russia and inducted into service around the early
part of the decade.
In the new ships, the Russian-origin Klub missiles
would be replaced by the indigenous BrahMos missiles.
The Navy chief also visited the Sevmash Shipyard where
the Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier is being retrofitted and
observed that "significant progress had been made on the
Gorshkov project and the ship was shaping up well for the
preliminary sea trials."
During the visit describes as "productive and
fruitful", the Admiral visited Vladivostok, Moscow, St
Petersburg and Kaliningrad and made a first hand assessment of
all projects. He held vital discussions with top brass of
Russian armed forces and defence industry.
"Reviewing ongoing projects, the Admiral observed that
they were progressing satisfactorily and had reached critical
stages of maturity. He also expressed satisfaction with the
quality of construction and repairs,"the release said.
In his discussions with the Commander-in-Chief of the
Russian Navy on operational exchanges between the two navies,
the two sides agreed that the INDRA series of exercises form
an important aspect of their bilateral relationship and would
need to be continued and extended in scope and participation.
The two sides also discussed increasing cooperation in
areas of anti-piracy operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- LeJ terrorists involved in Lanka cricket team attack killed
- Five held for 'slaughtering' three cows in Maharashtra
- Delhi LG cancelled AAP govt order on compensation by discoms: Arvind Kejriwal
- Bihar flood toll reaches 156, twins born on boat
- Hinduism all about love, faith and intimacy with all: RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat