India to take up Gorshkov issue with Putin in `big way`
New Delhi: The delay in the handing over of aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov will be taken up in a "big way" during Russian President Vladimir Putin`s visit next month and India may also consider imposing a penalty of around Rs 600 crore over the issue.
Putin was supposed to visit on Friday but has postponed his visit to December 24.
Russia had informed India at the Defence Minister-level talks earlier this month that it would be able to deliver the much-delayed warship only by the end of next year due to malfunctions in its boilers.
"The issue would be taken up in a big way during President Putin`s visit and we are also considering the option of imposing liquidity damages up to five per cent of the contract worth over USD 2.3 billion over delays in supply of the warship," a Defence Ministry source said here.
The delivery schedule of the already much-delayed 45,000-tonne warship has slipped further after it encountered engine malfunctions during sea trials in Russia.
After Russia conveyed the new delivery schedule of the aircraft carrier, Defence Minister A K Antony had expressed concern over it and asked all the stakeholders to adopt a wartime approach for ensuring an early delivery of the warship.
The ship, rechristened INS Vikramaditya, was scheduled for commissioning into Indian Navy by December 4 but Russian media reports have suggested that it would now be delivered only in October 2013.
The warship was originally scheduled to join the navy on 2008.
During the visit, India is expected to sign a number of defence deals for procuring 42 Su-30MKIs, 71 Mi-17 V5 choppers, new hypersonic version of the BrahMos missiles.
The government recently cleared several deals with Russia for procuring 25,000 Invar missiles for T-90 tanks and 10,000 Konkurs-M missiles for the Infantry and Mechanised Infantry battalions of the Army.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo