`India told Lanka to resolve Tamil issue for better trade`
Singapore: India has told Sri Lanka that it needs to resolve the Tamil issue for making progress in bilateral trade and commerce, a senior BJP leader has said.
"We have told them (Sri Lanka) that you should resolve the Tamil issue if you want trade and commerce between Colombo and New Delhi (to progress)," Seshadri Chari, National Convener of Foreign Policy Cell of the Bharatiya Janata Party told.
He made the remarks after addressing a Singapore forum on "Prime Minister Modi`s Government: Imperatives & Challenges".
Talking about China, Chari said, "We are dealing with China from the same point of view. We have told the Chinese that there would not be any negotiations or talks on Arunachal Pradesh."
"The Chinese are not worried about our Arunachal Pradesh," he said, adding that the Chinese were more worried about Tibet and Xinjiang.
Responding to a question on foreign policy of the new government, he said the government of India decides on foreign policy issues and not Tamil Nadu or West Bengal, an apparent reference to the perceived veto the two states had with the previous administration in Delhi.
He also pointed out that the actual principles of India`s foreign policy have never changed since Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru`s time.
"What has changed is the tougher course of correction and response mechanism," Chari said while addressing about 500 participants at the forum hosted by Singapore`s Institute of South Asian Studies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read