India, UK discuss co-operation on counter-terror
New Delhi: India and the UK on Tuesday discussed
ways to strengthen bilateral co-operation in
counter-terrorism, policing, homeland security issues and key
priorities in taking forward the enhanced partnership.
The issues were discussed by Jeremy Browne, UK Foreign
Office Minister, who is here on a two-day visit, during his
meetings with Home Minister P Chidambarm and Minister of State
for External Affairs Preneet Kaur.
Browne’s visit is the latest in a series by British
ministers and comes a few days after bilateral meetings
between External Affairs Minister S M Krishna and his
British counterpart William Hague in the UK last week.
Noting that the visit underlines the UK`s strong and
on-going commitment to build enhanced ties with India, a
British High Commission release said Browne, in-charge of
South Asia in British Foreign Office, met Chidambaram to
discuss how to strengthen UK-India co-operation in
counter-terrorism, policing and other homeland security
He also met his ministerial counterpart in the MEA,
Preneet Kaur, and discussed the key priorities in taking
forward the UK-India enhanced partnership.
"As Minister for South Asia and for emerging powers, I am
delighted to be in India. Like my ministerial colleagues
before me, I am here to make my contribution to the enhanced
partnership between the UK and India that Prime Ministers
(David) Cameron and (Manmohan) Singh set out a year ago.
"Much has been achieved since then and much remains to
be done. I am particularly pleased to be the first British
Minister from the coalition to visit West Bengal," he said on
his arrival here.
During his stay, Brown will travel to West Bengal where
he will Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee in order to explore how
the UK and West Bengal should best deepen their economic,
commercial and scientific ties. He will explore this further
with local Indian and British business executives.
He will also inaugurate the GOALZ programme under which
the Kolkata Police, local football clubs, the English Premier
League and the British Council support disadvantaged youths
through sport, the release said.
"Deeper economic, commercial and scientific co-operation
between the UK and West Bengal is an integral part of the
stronger, wider, deeper relationship that Prime Minister
Cameron described when in India last July," Brown said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in