India, UK engage for civil nuclear agreement
New Delhi: India and Britain have decided to commence negotiations on a bilateral civil nuclear agreement, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said Tuesday.
Speaking to media after meeting the visiting British premier, rime Minister Manmohan Singh said: "I thanked Prime Minister (David) Cameron for the UK`s support for India`s full membership of the Nuclear Suppliers Group and other multilateral export control regimes."
"We have also decided to commence negotiations on a bilateral civil nuclear agreement," said Singh.
Cameron is in India on a three-day official visit.
The two leaders also discussed the prospects of enhanced cooperation in the development of the defence industrial base of India through greater emphasis on technology transfer, co-development and co-production.
"I have sought his (Cameron) support in ensuring an early conclusion of a fair, balanced and forward looking broad-based India-EU trade and investment agreement, which will open new opportunities for trade and investment between our two countries," said Manmohan Singh.
"Education and science and technology are special areas of India-UK cooperation. I have impressed upon the prime minister (Cameron), the need for a visa regime that facilitates greater movement of people between our two countries so that this cooperation can be further energized," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened