India-UK joint naval exercise from today
New Delhi: India and the United Kingdom will embark on their annual joint naval exercise `Konkan` off the coast of Goa starting on Saturday keeping the focus on submarine operations including nuclear underwater vessels.
India will field its Shishumar Class INS Shankush HDW submarine and the British will have one of their Trafalgar Class nuclear submarines on show during the week-long exercise, Navy officials said on Friday.
Though India has held a number of joint exercises with other countries where nuclear submarines were involved this would be the first time when the focus would be on operation of submarines, they said.
The exercise will help the Navy to hone its skills in operating nuclear submarines as it is expected to get the Nerpa K 152 nuclear submarine on lease from Russia and is also planning to induct the indigenous INS Arihant submarine in the near future.
During the exercise, the Indian crew will also get to visit on board the British nuclear submarine.
The British vessel will be supported by `RFA Diligence`, a dedicated nuclear submarine support vessel.
INS Betwa-- a Beas Class missile frigate and the IL-38 SD maritime surveillance aircraft would also take part in the exercise from the Indian side.
The British had deployed one of their Trafalgar Class submarines during the Libyan crisis recently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi