India, US initiate agreement to co-op in clean energy research
Washington: India and the US on Friday initiated
the agreement for co-operation on a joint clean energy
research and development centre, which would facilitate
research on a wide range of green power technologies.
The agreement, MoU for which was signed during Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh`s visit to Washington last November,
is considered a significant step towards strengthening
cooperation between the two countries in an area of increasing
national and international priority.
India`s top diplomat in the US Meera Shankar and Daniel
Poneman, Deputy Secretary of Energy, initiated the Agreement
for Cooperation on a Joint Clean Energy Research and
Development Centre today, an official release said.
"The Centre will facilitate joint research and
development by teams of scientists and engineers from the US
and India on clean energy and related joint activities, needed
to deploy clean energy technologies rapidly with the greatest
impact," it said.
Areas of cooperation would include energy efficiency of
buildings, smart grids, unconventional natural gas,
second-generation bio fuels, clean coal technologies and solar
"Both Governments would provide funding for the
activities to help ensure long-term and stable financial
support to achieve the objectives of the Centre. Private
industry and academia in both countries are also expected to
provide additional resources," the statement said.
Technology breakthroughs will be critical in achieving
energy security in a clean and sustainable manner and the
Joint India-US Research Centre could be a valuable catalyst in
the process, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened