India-US-Japan trilateral meet today
New Delhi: The US` `pivot-to-Asia` policy, Iran, China-Japan maritime dispute and South China Sea will be among the issues to be discussed during the 3rd round of India-US-Japan Trilateral dialogue here on Monday apart from finding areas of cooperation between the three countries.
According to official sources, the US is expected to brief about its much-talked about policy of `pivot to Asia`, an American move driven by the allure of emerging Asian economies, especially China and India. Another reason includes the draw-down of US forces in both Iraq and Afghanistan, which enables the US military to concentrate more resources on the Asia-Pacific. The US is also expected to talk about Iran`s contentious nuclear programme.
Japan will be briefing about its maritime dispute with China. Discussion on the increasing Chinese influence in South China Sea is also expected to figure during the trilateral, sources said.
The three sides will also explore the possibilities of cooperation in various strategic areas, including piracy and safety of sea lanes in Asia Pacific amidst increasing Chinese influence in the region.
The Japanese delegation will be led by Deputy Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Kenji Hiramatsu, the US delegation by Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asia Robert Blake and the Indian delegation by Joint Secretary (East Asia) Gautam Bambawale.
The trilateral also comes ahead of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s visit to Tokyo on November 15 for the bilateral Summit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof