India, US sign deal for six transport aircraft
New Delhi: India has signed a Rs 4,000-crore deal with the US for procuring six more C-130J Super Hercules Special Operations aircraft for the Indian Air Force.
The proposal was cleared by the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on December 20.
The two sides signed the deal yesterday under which the US Air Force will supply the aircraft to the IAF through the Foreign Military Sales route, sources said here.
The IAF already has a fleet of six similar planes which are deployed at the Hindon air base near here and the force uses it for carrying out special operations including landing on inhospitable air strips in the Ladakh area.
The IAF had acquired the first lot of six aircraft at a cost of around Rs 5,500 crore.
The new lot of six planes will be located at Panagarh in West Bengal, which would be headquarters of the proposed Mountain Strike Corps of the army along the China border.
The aircraft is capable of airdropping commandos and material in darkness due to its night-vision imaging. It can prove very handy in wartime due to its ability for special air operations and transport of material and supplies.
It can be used in mountainous terrain in hostile circumstances. The four-engine plane with Rolls Royce engines has the technology and configuration to perform low-level precision flying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!