India, US ties change from estranged to engaged democracies
New York: India on Monday said its ties with the US have turned from "estranged democracies" to "engaged democracies", as it is exploring and absorbing in myriad ways its transition from being a country subjected to select American sanctions to becoming a strategic partner.
"From estranged democracies to engaged democracies, it has been a long and fascinating journey for India and the United States," External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid wrote in an opinion piece in the New York Times today.
Underlining that India and the world have changed dramatically in the past two decades, the minister said, "the relationship between India and the US has strengthened spectacularly and brought substantive gain to both countries."
"It has also given birth to great expectations. The management and fulfilment of those expectations is crucial for the dialogue and partnership between the two countries," he wrote in the article, coinciding with Secretary of State John Kerry`s India visit for the 4th round of Indo-US strategic dialogue in New Delhi.
Recalling the US sanctions against India in the wake of 1998 Pokhran-II nuclear tests, Khurshid said, "India is exploring and absorbing in myriad ways its transition from being a country subjected to select American sanctions to becoming a strategic partner of the United States."
He said the relationship between India and the US has been driven by both the bilateral governmental interface and the natural affinity and attraction between their citizens.
"The liberal philosophical moorings of some of the first leaders of independent India, shared values of democracy and freedom, and admiration for the American Constitution, brought us together," he wrote.
"In the Indian discovery of America and the American discovery of India, increased expectations, timely delivery on commitments, agreed-upon mutual course corrections and consolidation of gains would be crucial."
Underlining the importance of India-US Strategic Dialogue, he said it "provides opportunities to measure the distance traveled and to map the future" and it`s "success is in the interest of our two countries and the world."
Khurshid wrote that India and the US are currently tasked to nurture the strategic partnership that they already have in place and to which they are mutually committed to preserve and protect. "The pressures and difficulties posed by our domestic politics and economics, the unresolved issues of the world, must not deter us," he wrote.
He also hoped that in the field of defence, the Indo-US ties should not merely be a buyer-seller relationship, but a true strategic partnership involving joint research, manufacture of equipment, training of personnel and military exercises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi