India, US to hold political-military dialogue
Washington: After a gap of nearly six years, the US and India would hold their first political-military dialogue in New Delhi next week during which the two countries are expected to discuss a wide range of bilateral issues.
Assistant Secretary of State for Political-Military Affairs Andrew J Shapiro is traveling to India next week to head the American delegation for the first India-US Pol-Mil dialogue after 2006.
"Shapiro will hold talks with senior civilian officials on defence trade, counter-piracy, and regional political-military issues, as well as the recovery and repatriation of US service members lost during the Second World War," the State Department said in a statement here.
In recent years, the US and India have significantly broadened their defence cooperation, as demonstrated by their robust engagement in bilateral dialogues, military exercises, and personnel exchanges, as well as nearly USD nine billion in defence trade since 2008, it said.
"The US and India are also working together as active participants in the 60-nation Contact Group on Piracy off the Coast of Somalia, and are both among countries contributing naval forces to patrol regional waters," the statement said.
Sources said the talks being revived after a gap of six years would help the two countries bring together the political and military issues on one platform.
However, sources clarified that during the talks the two countries would not be discussing licensing issues.
The dialogue would review the kind of progress the two countries are making on political and military issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part II
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen