India, US to hold political-military dialogue
Washington: After a gap of nearly six years, the US and India would hold their first political-military dialogue in New Delhi next week during which the two countries are expected to discuss a wide range of bilateral issues.
Assistant Secretary of State for Political-Military Affairs Andrew J Shapiro is traveling to India next week to head the American delegation for the first India-US Pol-Mil dialogue after 2006.
"Shapiro will hold talks with senior civilian officials on defence trade, counter-piracy, and regional political-military issues, as well as the recovery and repatriation of US service members lost during the Second World War," the State Department said in a statement here.
In recent years, the US and India have significantly broadened their defence cooperation, as demonstrated by their robust engagement in bilateral dialogues, military exercises, and personnel exchanges, as well as nearly USD nine billion in defence trade since 2008, it said.
"The US and India are also working together as active participants in the 60-nation Contact Group on Piracy off the Coast of Somalia, and are both among countries contributing naval forces to patrol regional waters," the statement said.
Sources said the talks being revived after a gap of six years would help the two countries bring together the political and military issues on one platform.
However, sources clarified that during the talks the two countries would not be discussing licensing issues.
The dialogue would review the kind of progress the two countries are making on political and military issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH