India, US to share intelligence inputs to thwart terror strikes
New Delhi: In a sign of growing ties between
Indian and American security agencies, CIA chief Leon E
Panetta is paying a three-day visit to India from November 20,
with anti-terror cooperation high on the agenda.
During his visit, the US Central Intelligence Agency head
is likely to discuss issues ranging from cooperation on
counter-terrorism and sharing of intelligence among others
with top security experts of the country.
The top American intelligence officer will also discuss
probe carried out by the US and Indian investigators on David
Coleman Headley and his Canadian associate Tahawwur Hussain
Rana, arrested by FBI for suspected links with LeT and
plotting terror attacks in India.
Home Ministry officials said following the last year`s
terror attacks in Mumbai, US authorities are extremely
cooperative with Indian security agencies and parting with key
"US officials are extremely cooperative now. We had no
clue about the activities of Headley and Rana till their
arrest. They sent a detailed report which is helping us in our
probe," a Home Ministry official said.
A detailed report sent by FBI, after the arrest of
Headley and Rana, helped Indian agencies to take security
measures in key installations like National Defence College in
National Security Advisor M K Narayanan along with three
officials of Joint Intelligence Committee had visited the US
last month and had fruitful meetings with American officials.
Information provided by American officials led to arrest
of suspected Lashkar-e-Tayiba terrorist Mohammed Omar Madani
in June last.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars