India, US together can build strong future: John Kerry
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: US Secretary of State John Kerry who arrived in New Delhi on Sunday to take part in the fourth round of Indo-US strategic dialogue said that the two countries should work together to overcome stuttering bilateral and regional issues.
Earlier, the US announced to invest USD 100 million in India`s burgeoning clean energy sector.
Kerry, 69, accompanied by a high-level delegation arrived here on a three-day visit, the first one after assuming the charge of the State Department earlier this year.
He will co-chair the India-US strategic dialogue with External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid during which key issues like bilateral trade, defence and security cooperation besides energy and higher education would be discussed.
The Delhi gang-rape victim and the massive protests against the brutal crime came up for mention by Kerry in his speech.
He said when "inequalities or violence seeks to stamp out equality as with the tragic death of Nirbhaya, whose memory I was proud to honour at the State Department recently; We must all stand up and say `No`, just as so many did in New Delhi by demanding justice."
Describing India as a nation that would soon become the most populous and the third largest economy in the world, Kerry touched on defence cooperation, India-Pakistan relations, on Afghanistan, the contributions of the Indian American community.
He described India as an "ever changing place" and that both sides have to move together with the current.
He made a forceful pitch for India and Pakistan to boost economic ties and said it could be the harbinger of a "new era of ties" between the neighbours and help bring in "a level of trust".
Kerry, who arrived earlier in the day on a three-day visit, said he welcomed the increase of "21 percent" in India-Pakistan trade.
He said if India and Pakistan can "confidently invest in each other then the rest of the world will more confidently invest in you".
Ahead of his visit, Kerry had described India as a strategic partner in South Asia with whom the US has one of the defining partnership of the 21st century.
As Kerry arrived in India, the US Agency for International Development (USAID) said that it will partner with US-based institutional investor Northern Lights Capital Group to facilitate the investment via Nereus Capital.
This investment, through the Agency`s Development Credit Authority, is expected to create hundreds of additional megawatts of sustainable energy capacity and will help to advance India`s clean energy industry.
"USAID will be able to dramatically leverage large scale funding to help India`s transition to a low carbon economy and open-up new development opportunities for enhanced energy access," USAID Administrator Raj Shah, who is accompanying Kerry, said.
US Energy Secretary, NASA Director, US military chief for the Pacific region Admiral Samuel Locklear and top officials from the State Department and Homeland Security are part of the delegation.
During the talks, India will seek from the US information on the opening of a Taliban office in Qatar besides putting across its concerns about the H1B and L category visas that has raised concerns among the Indian industry, especially the IT sector.
The issue of market access, nuclear liability bill and American National Security Agency`s Internet snooping programme are also likely to be discussed.
Kerry will also co-chair India-US Higher Education dialogue. Kerry will also meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during his stay in New Delhi.
With PTI/IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow