India, US top cops meet to evolve plans against terror
New Delhi: Top security experts of India and the US today met here to discuss various measures, including exchange of technologies, to help each other face challenges like terrorism, cyber crime and ensuring safety of major cities.
The conference of police chiefs from India and the US, which began here today, saw the security czars stressing the needs to develop global linkages for evolving effective policing to address security threats such as terrorism, drugs traffickings and transnational crime.
"This conference is a key element in the expansion of our bilateral cooperation with the United States, aimed at securing our nations. As strategic partners, the more we can work with each other to enhance internal security, the more meaningful our partnership becomes to the ordinary citizen," Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said inaugurating the two-day meeting.
Referring to the 9/11 terror attacks in New York and the 26/11 Mumbai strike, the Home Minister said major terrorist attacks typically target large and densely populated urban areas, intentionally trying to inflict maximum damage.
Shinde said an efficient megacity policing system must serve as an effective deterrent against terrorists and their masters, who launch targeted attacks on the nerve centres of a country and therefore cooperation in megacity policing is intended to help each other enhance capacity, and to learn from each other, to provide an integrated security umbrella.
Union Home Secretary Anil Goswami said both sides will discuss all relevant issues relating to detection of terrorist activities, their prevention and protection of material resources and human lives in terror attacks.
"We have enormous challenges - conventional as well as modern. To surmount them, we have to forge partnership with like thinking nations who have an identical resolve to fight terrorism, strengthen peace and democracy and thereby development," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi