India, US top cops meet to evolve plans against terror
New Delhi: Top security experts of India and the US today met here to discuss various measures, including exchange of technologies, to help each other face challenges like terrorism, cyber crime and ensuring safety of major cities.
The conference of police chiefs from India and the US, which began here today, saw the security czars stressing the needs to develop global linkages for evolving effective policing to address security threats such as terrorism, drugs traffickings and transnational crime.
"This conference is a key element in the expansion of our bilateral cooperation with the United States, aimed at securing our nations. As strategic partners, the more we can work with each other to enhance internal security, the more meaningful our partnership becomes to the ordinary citizen," Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said inaugurating the two-day meeting.
Referring to the 9/11 terror attacks in New York and the 26/11 Mumbai strike, the Home Minister said major terrorist attacks typically target large and densely populated urban areas, intentionally trying to inflict maximum damage.
Shinde said an efficient megacity policing system must serve as an effective deterrent against terrorists and their masters, who launch targeted attacks on the nerve centres of a country and therefore cooperation in megacity policing is intended to help each other enhance capacity, and to learn from each other, to provide an integrated security umbrella.
Union Home Secretary Anil Goswami said both sides will discuss all relevant issues relating to detection of terrorist activities, their prevention and protection of material resources and human lives in terror attacks.
"We have enormous challenges - conventional as well as modern. To surmount them, we have to forge partnership with like thinking nations who have an identical resolve to fight terrorism, strengthen peace and democracy and thereby development," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened