India very seriously pursuing release of arrested ship captain
New Delhi: India said Friday it is "very seriously" pursuing the release of Indian merchant ship captain Sunil James, arrested in the west African country of Togo since July, whose son died Dec 2.
External affairs ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said here at a briefing that "India is pursuing the matter very seriously (for the release) and will try its utmost to see that the family is reunited in its difficult times".
James` family is seeking his release so that he could return home for the last rites of his 11-month-old son Vivaan who died on Dec 2 of septicaemia in a Mumbai hospital.
James had stopped at Togo to report an attack on his ship MT Ocean Centurion by pirates when he was arrested on July 31, along with two other crew members, for allegedly aiding the pirates.
The sailor`s wife, Aditi and other family members are desperately waiting for his arrival to conduct the last rites of his son whose body has been kept in a hospital morgue.
The spokesperson said the Indian mission in Accra (Ghana) is overseeing the matters regarding the release of James. "Since we came to know of his detention on Aug 7, our honorary consul in Lome (Togo) has met the three detained Indian sailors. He has met the minister of justice," he said.
After news of the son`s death, the Indian authorities have once again taken up with Togo the matter of his release.
Akbaruddin said the Indian consul "hopes to meet the public prosecutor and try and see if they can meet the judge and on compassionate grounds see if Sunil James is allowed to be released.. We are pursuing the matter very seriously".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'