India visit only if talks result-oriented: Pakistan FM
Islamabad: Pakistani Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi on Saturday upped the ante by saying he was unwilling to travel to New Delhi for talks unless India is prepared to hold a "meaningful, constructive and result-oriented" dialogue to resolve outstanding issues with Pakistan.
"I do not want to visit India for a leisure trip. I want to go for meaningful, constructive and result-oriented talks if the right atmosphere prevails and if they are fully prepared (for talks)," Qureshi said after addressing a joint news conference with visiting British Minister Sayeeda Warsi.
He was responding to a question from reporters on whether he would travel to New Delhi for talks in view of Indian government`s current position.
Following a meeting with Qureshi in Islamabad on Thursday, External Affairs Minister SM Krishna had announced that he had invited his Pakistani counterpart to visit India for the next round of their parleys.
Qureshi reiterated his assertion that Krishna had come to Pakistan with a limited mandate.
"At our talks, I said that they (Indian side) should raise terrorism if it was among their priorities because it is also our concern. You can raise (the) Mumbai (attacks) but we have our concerns," Qureshi said.
Among Pakistan`s concerns is the situation in Jammu and Kashmir, where curfew has been imposed and there are killings, he said.
Qureshi contended that India raised its concerns and "then became selective" in taking on Pakistan`s concerns.
"If you (India) are answerable to your people on terrorism, we too are a democracy and have to satisfy our people," he said.
Qureshi said he had not raised any issues with Krishna that were not part of the eight components of the composite dialogue.
This was done because Pakistan does not want the four years of efforts made through the composite dialogue to go waste, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video