India votes in support of UNHRC resolution on Gaza
Geneva: India along with BRICS countries on Wednesday voted in support of a UN Human Rights Council resolution to launch a probe into Israel`s offensive on Gaza.
India joined Brazil, Russia, China and South Africa to vote for a Palestinian-drafted resolution on "Ensuring Respect for international law in The Occupied Palestinian Territories, including East Jersusalem".
In the 46-member council, 29 countries voted in support of the resolution while 17 nations abstained.
The US was the only nation to vote against the resolution. European countries abstained.
The voting came as bloodbath in the Gaza Strip continued
unabated today with Israel and Hamas refusing to back down in the 16-day conflict that has killed over 680 Palestinians and 31 Israelis.
Earlier, India asked Israel and Palestine to demonstrate political will to agree to a ceasefire and return to the negotiating table.
"We remain hopeful that a sustainable ceasefire will be reached between the two sides, linked to the resumption of the peace process, for a comprehensive resolution of the Palestinian issue," India`s Permanent Representative to the UN Asoke Mukerji said at the UN Security Council open debate on `The Situation in the Middle East, including the Palestinian Question`.
He said India is "deeply concerned" at the steep escalation in the conflict between Israel and Palestine that has resulted in a large number of civilian casualties and heavy damage to property.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- US wants Pakistan to have dialogue with neighbours
- Hassan Rouhani allies win Iran parliament elections second round: Reports
- Bipasha Basu - Karan Singh Grover wedding: Official pictures from mehendi/ sangeet ceremony are here
- Crucial file on 'truth behind Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose's disappearance' destroyed in 1972
- Russian woman raped in Goa by guest house owner