India wants good relation with neighbours: Antony
Kannur (Kerala): Defence Minister AK Antony
on Saturday said India wanted to have good relations with Pakistan
despite the neighbouring country`s "inaction" to dismantle
terrorist training camps there.
"India wants to have good relations with Pakistan despite
their inaction to dismantle 42 terrorist training camps
functioning there as urged by India", he told a meet-the-press
programme of Kannur Press Club here.
"Pakistan had not taken any action against such centres",
Antony said there was need to strengthen the Indian Navy
as the force had to protect the country from the threat posed
by sea pirates and terrorist. Moreover, the navy`s role was
assuming importance as it had to safeguard the coastal as well
as the maritime security, he said.
Utmost attention should be given for the security of the
seas as nearly 99 per cent of India`s trade was being carried
out through seas, he said.
He said the Union cabinet had decided to sanction Rs 140
crore for the second phase development of the Ezhimala Naval
Once the second phase was completed, the Academy would be
able to give training to 1200 naval personnel, he said,
adding, presently it was providing training for 750 officers.
The work on the Coast Guard Training Centre at Azheekal
near here would be completed during 2013-15, Antony said.
He said 44 military hospitals would be upgraded as super
speciality hospitals in a phased manner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre