India wants more say for GA in selection of UNSG
United Nations: India on Tuesday said General Assembly must have a greater say in the process of selection and appointment of the United Nations secretary general.
"The (General) Assembly must have a greater say in the process of selection of the secretary general," India`s permanent representative to the UN Hardeep Singh Puri said in his address to the United Nations General Assembly on the revitalisation of its work.
"The continued circumscribing of the Assembly`s role and responsibilities in the process of selection and appointment of the secretary general needs to change in the interests of the United Nations system in general and the Assembly`s prerogatives in particular," he said.
Observing that the issue of its revitalisation has assumed particular significance in recent years, Puri said India firmly believes this can only be achieved when position of General Assembly as the chief deliberative, policy-making and representative organ of the United Nations is respected both in letter and in spirit.
"The General Assembly should take the lead in setting the global agenda and restoring the centrality of the United Nations in formulating multilateral approaches to resolving transnational issues," Puri said.
He said that it is critical to establish a proper relationship of respect for respective mandates between the General Assembly and the Security Council in the spirit of the UN Charter.
Notably, India is set to join the UN Security Council as its non-permanent member after a gap of 19 years.
It is important that UN Security Council does not encroach upon the mandate of the General Assembly through extremely wide and permissive interpretations of what constitutes a threat to international peace and security, breaches of the peace and acts of aggression, he said.
"As we prepare to join the Security Council, after a gap of 19 years, it is clear that the Council`s agenda is, to say the least, overburdened because it has anointed itself with the responsibility of dealing with issues, though seemingly important, which leave it with less time to deal with the real hotspots that constitute the real threats to international peace and security," Puri said.
As it was the General Assembly which limited its own role, it will have to be the General Assembly that claws back its rightful place in the process of selecting the
Secretary-General, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt