India wants Pak to fix accountability for 26/11 terror attack
New York: With the stage set for a meeting between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif here, India has said it will ask its neighbour to fix the accountability for the 26/11 terror attack that left 166 people dead.
"The work that we have done on this meeting (between Singh and Sharif) includes conveying the expectation of some signal, addressing our concerns, which essentially are accountability for 26/11, people who are involved in planning and executing, who happen to be either in the custody of Pakistan or on their soil. We are looking for accountability," External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid told reporters here.
He, however, voiced caution and said the meeting between the two Prime Ministers should not be expected to address all issues and concerns.
"For us to expect that we will get complete satisfaction in one meeting obviously would be too much to expect but we are expecting, hoping and really we deserve movement on issues that are of great importance both to the government and people of our country," he said yesterday.
Khurshid said India has facilitated the visit of an eight-member Pakistani judicial commission which will cross examine Indian witnesses and it expects that the evidence collected would now be admissible in Pakistani courts.
He also described as a "good signal" the decision by Pakistan to appoint a new prosecutor to replace late Chaudhry Zulfiqar Ali of the Federal Investigation Agency who was assassinated by militants in Islamabad in May.
"We hope that this will be an appropriate impetus for the matter to proceed with expedition because it is very important," he said.
Khurshid, however, said that still lots need to be done to bring the perpetrators of the Mumbai carnage to justice.
"This is a beginning. There is now no reason why the case cannot proceed more effectively. This is only the tip of the iceberg. There will have to be many steps to be taken."
Singh is also expected to convey to Sharif concerns over continued terrorism emanating from Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- West Indies vs India, 1st Test: 5-star Ashwin dominates hosts on Day 4
- Televangelist Zakir Naik's aides make startling revelations, it will shock you -- Read
- Govt begins search for Bankruptcy Board chief
- BSF - Pakistan Rangers talks this week in Lahore
- LIVE STREAMING: West Indies vs India, 1st Test, Day 4