India was planning to send doctors to treat Sarabjit Singh
New Delhi: India was considering sending a team of doctors to Lahore to assess the medical condition of Sarabjit Singh after its suggestion for shifting him here was not accepted but he died before the plan could fructify.
The proposal came up as Sarabjit`s condition worsened and India was not sure about the quality of medical treatment being given to him, sources said.
India was provided with daily updates about Sarabjit`s medical condition at 10 am and 10 pm and these were analysed by doctors here.
However, before the plan to send Indian doctors could fructify, Sarabjit passed away late last night.
There were issues with regard to getting visas, the sources explained.
The proposal was mooted while India suggested to Pakistan that Sarabjit may either be shifted here or to a third country for treatment.
There were reports saying that Pakistan was "positively considering" India`s request for sending Sarabjit to a third country but it took too late to decide.
The sources underlined that India had suggested shifting of Sarabjit here as medical care in India is anyday better than that in Pakistan.
Asked whether another autopsy would be conducted on Sarabjit`s body after arrival here to ascertain the cause and time of death, the sources did not rule it out.
On whether the incident will have any impact on the normal business with Pakistan, the sources said already no meetings have been scheduled at Secretary-level since two Indian soldiers were beheaded on LoC in January.
Also Pakistan is in election-mode.
"We cannot pre-judge. We will keep monitoring the situation and see after elections in Pakistan," the source said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand