India watching China`s exploration moves
New Delhi: India on Wednesday said it was keeping a
close watch on developments concerning national security and
commercial interests in the wake of China`s move for
exploration in the South-West Indian Ocean.
"Government keeps a constant watch on all developments
concerning our national security and commercial interests and
takes all necessary measures to safeguard them in accordance
with the prevailing security situation and strategic
considerations," Defence Minister A K Antony said during
He was responding to concerns expressed in Rajya Sabha
over the issue.
Antony, however, said China Ocean Mineral Resources
Research and Development Association`s 15-year contract with
International Seabed Authority for prospecting and exploration
of polymetallic sulphides in the Indian Ocean ridge is in an
area beyond the national jurisdiction of any state of the high
He said India is also working towards exploration of
polymetallic sulphides and efforts are targeted to study the
sea floor hydrothermal systems.
He said the right to exploration in international water is
accorded by the UN.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened