India welcomes UNSC sanctions on Haqqani network
New Delhi: India on Wednesday welcomed the sanctions imposed by the UN Security Council against Pakistan-based Haqqani militant network and its chief of suicide operations and said the international community has to be united in its efforts to isolate such terror groups which threaten peace and security.
"India welcomes the move by the UN Security Council to list the Haqqani Network among the entities that now face an asset freeze, a travel ban and an arms embargo. This Group has also targetted Indian interests in the past.
"The international community has to be united in its efforts to isolate such terror groups which threaten peace and security in our region, and other parts of the world," official spokesperson in the Ministry of External Affairs said.
The UNSC, under India`s presidency, has imposed global sanctions against the dreaded Pakistan-based Haqqani militant network and the group`s chief of suicide operations. The Council`s Afghanistan/Taliban Sanctions Committee also added the group and Qari Zakir to its list of entities which face an assets freeze, travel ban and arms embargo.
The move comes on the same day the US State Department designated Zakir as a "global terrorist" and imposed financial sanctions against him.
The process to impose sanctions was initiated on October 18 when a `no objection` document was circulated among the members of the UNSC and the Sanctions Committee, of which Pakistan is also currently a member, for their comments.
Finally the global body cleared the sanction procedure on November five after it received no objection on the process from any of the members.
The UN sanctions list now contains 131 individuals and three entities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says