India welcomes UNSC sanctions on Haqqani network
New Delhi: India on Wednesday welcomed the sanctions imposed by the UN Security Council against Pakistan-based Haqqani militant network and its chief of suicide operations and said the international community has to be united in its efforts to isolate such terror groups which threaten peace and security.
"India welcomes the move by the UN Security Council to list the Haqqani Network among the entities that now face an asset freeze, a travel ban and an arms embargo. This Group has also targetted Indian interests in the past.
"The international community has to be united in its efforts to isolate such terror groups which threaten peace and security in our region, and other parts of the world," official spokesperson in the Ministry of External Affairs said.
The UNSC, under India`s presidency, has imposed global sanctions against the dreaded Pakistan-based Haqqani militant network and the group`s chief of suicide operations. The Council`s Afghanistan/Taliban Sanctions Committee also added the group and Qari Zakir to its list of entities which face an assets freeze, travel ban and arms embargo.
The move comes on the same day the US State Department designated Zakir as a "global terrorist" and imposed financial sanctions against him.
The process to impose sanctions was initiated on October 18 when a `no objection` document was circulated among the members of the UNSC and the Sanctions Committee, of which Pakistan is also currently a member, for their comments.
Finally the global body cleared the sanction procedure on November five after it received no objection on the process from any of the members.
The UN sanctions list now contains 131 individuals and three entities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...