India welcomes UNSC sanctions on Haqqani network
New Delhi: India on Wednesday welcomed the sanctions imposed by the UN Security Council against Pakistan-based Haqqani militant network and its chief of suicide operations and said the international community has to be united in its efforts to isolate such terror groups which threaten peace and security.
"India welcomes the move by the UN Security Council to list the Haqqani Network among the entities that now face an asset freeze, a travel ban and an arms embargo. This Group has also targetted Indian interests in the past.
"The international community has to be united in its efforts to isolate such terror groups which threaten peace and security in our region, and other parts of the world," official spokesperson in the Ministry of External Affairs said.
The UNSC, under India`s presidency, has imposed global sanctions against the dreaded Pakistan-based Haqqani militant network and the group`s chief of suicide operations. The Council`s Afghanistan/Taliban Sanctions Committee also added the group and Qari Zakir to its list of entities which face an assets freeze, travel ban and arms embargo.
The move comes on the same day the US State Department designated Zakir as a "global terrorist" and imposed financial sanctions against him.
The process to impose sanctions was initiated on October 18 when a `no objection` document was circulated among the members of the UNSC and the Sanctions Committee, of which Pakistan is also currently a member, for their comments.
Finally the global body cleared the sanction procedure on November five after it received no objection on the process from any of the members.
The UN sanctions list now contains 131 individuals and three entities.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!