India welcomes US bounty on Saeed`s head
New Delhi: India on Tuesday welcomed the US
announcement of a bounty of USD 10 million on Pakistan-based
Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed, the mastermind of the 26/11
Mumbai attacks, saying it sends a strong signal to Lashker-e-
Toiba and its patrons.
"India welcomes US notification under the Rewards for
Justice Programme. (It) sends a strong signal to LeT as also
its members and patrons that the international community
remains united in combating terrorism," MEA official spokesman
Syed Akbaruddin said on Twitter.
Under the Rewards for Justice Programme, the US has
announced a bounty of USD 10 million on the head of Saeed.
He said the announcement of the bounty reflects
commitment of India and the US to bring perpetrators of Mumbai
terrorist attack to justice and continuing efforts to combat
Akbaruddin was referring to US Undersecretary of State
for Political Affairs Wendy Sherman`s statement on the bounty
Saeed, the founder of terror group Lashkar-e-Toiba, is on
India`s most wanted list. After the 26/11 attacks that left
166 people dead, India has asked Pakistan to hand him over.
Later, in a statement Akbaruddin said the US maintains
both Lashkar-e-Toiba and Jamaat-ud-Dawa as foreign terrorist
organisations and has also individually designated Hafiz
Mohammad Saeed and Abdul Rahman Makki for terrorist activities
under its law.
"In recent years, India and the United States have
deepened mutual understanding on the nature of terrorism
challenges emanating from India`s neighbourhood," he said.
The two sides agree that all terrorist organisations,
including LeT, should be defeated and have called for
elimination of terrorist safe havens and infrastructure inside
Pakistan and Afghanistan.
He also said India and the US have strengthened their
counter-terrorism cooperation through the Joint Working Group
on Counter-terrorism, Counter-terrorism Cooperation
Initiative, the Homeland Security Dialogue and regular
exchanges between intelligence and law enforcement agencies.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed