India welcomes US bounty on Saeed`s head
New Delhi: India on Tuesday welcomed the US
announcement of a bounty of USD 10 million on Pakistan-based
Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed, the mastermind of the 26/11
Mumbai attacks, saying it sends a strong signal to Lashker-e-
Toiba and its patrons.
"India welcomes US notification under the Rewards for
Justice Programme. (It) sends a strong signal to LeT as also
its members and patrons that the international community
remains united in combating terrorism," MEA official spokesman
Syed Akbaruddin said on Twitter.
Under the Rewards for Justice Programme, the US has
announced a bounty of USD 10 million on the head of Saeed.
He said the announcement of the bounty reflects
commitment of India and the US to bring perpetrators of Mumbai
terrorist attack to justice and continuing efforts to combat
Akbaruddin was referring to US Undersecretary of State
for Political Affairs Wendy Sherman`s statement on the bounty
Saeed, the founder of terror group Lashkar-e-Toiba, is on
India`s most wanted list. After the 26/11 attacks that left
166 people dead, India has asked Pakistan to hand him over.
Later, in a statement Akbaruddin said the US maintains
both Lashkar-e-Toiba and Jamaat-ud-Dawa as foreign terrorist
organisations and has also individually designated Hafiz
Mohammad Saeed and Abdul Rahman Makki for terrorist activities
under its law.
"In recent years, India and the United States have
deepened mutual understanding on the nature of terrorism
challenges emanating from India`s neighbourhood," he said.
The two sides agree that all terrorist organisations,
including LeT, should be defeated and have called for
elimination of terrorist safe havens and infrastructure inside
Pakistan and Afghanistan.
He also said India and the US have strengthened their
counter-terrorism cooperation through the Joint Working Group
on Counter-terrorism, Counter-terrorism Cooperation
Initiative, the Homeland Security Dialogue and regular
exchanges between intelligence and law enforcement agencies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'