India welcomes US decision to withdraw Pak aid
New Delhi: India on Tuesday welcomed the US
withdrawing USD 800 million military aid to Pakistan and
termed the move as a "positive step".
"It is too early to comment for how how long this
embargo will continue. But it is a positive step, a welcome
step," Defence Ministry A K Antony told reporters here.
He was reacting to the US` decision to cut military
aid to Pakistan.
US had on Sunday suspended a USD 800 million military
aid to Pakistan.
The suspended aid, which is about one-third of the USD
2 billion in annual American security assistance to Pakistan,
includes about USD 300 million to reimburse Pakistan for some
of the costs of deploying more than 100,000 soldiers along the
Afghan border to combat terrorism.
It also comprises millions of dollars in training
assistance and military hardware.
Antony refused to reply to the queries on the
controversy over the age of Army Chief General V K Singh.
External Affairs Minister S M Krishna had yesterday
welcomed the US decision, saying a heavy presence of arms
would have disturbed the equilibrium in the region.
"With reference to the special circumstances between
India and Pakistan and how India has consistently taken the
view that it is not desirable that this region had to be
heavily armed by the US which will upset the equilibrium in
the region itself. To that extent India welcomes this step,"
he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings