India welcomes US move on Dawood aides
New Delhi: India on Wednesday welcomed the US move to designate underworld don Dawood Ibrahim`s two top aides Chhota Shakeel and Tiger Memon as key drug traffickers, saying it was a reaffirmation of India`s stand and asked "those countries" "harbouring" them to bring them to justice.
"We welcome any such designations because it is reaffirmation of what we have always been saying that narco- terrorism is a threat not only to India but to the world beyond. Any designation of this sort indicates that there is an interest well beyond India to bring these people to justice," official spokesperson in the Ministry of External Affairs Syed Akbaruddin said.
"We would also urge that those countries who may harbour any of these should bring to them to justice," he said in an apparent reference to Pakistan", he said.
India has been maintaining that all three are in Pakistan and their names are among those who figure in the `most wanted` list given by New Delhi to Islamabad.
Targeting the "nexus of crime and terrorism" in South Asia, the US has designated Chhota Shakeel and Tiger Memon as key drug traffickers and slapped sanctions on them.
The US Department of the Treasury`s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated 57-year-old Shakeel and 52- year-old Memon as Specially Designated Narcotics Traffickers pursuant to the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin Designation Act (Kingpin Act) for their roles as part of a criminal organisation run by Dawood Ibrahim known as `D Company`.
56-year-old Dawood was named as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist in October 2003, and in June 2006, he was named as a Significant Foreign Narcotics Trafficker.
Also in June 2006, the Dawood organisation was named as a Significant Foreign Narcotics Trafficker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31