India welcomes US move on Dawood aides
New Delhi: India on Wednesday welcomed the US move to designate underworld don Dawood Ibrahim`s two top aides Chhota Shakeel and Tiger Memon as key drug traffickers, saying it was a reaffirmation of India`s stand and asked "those countries" "harbouring" them to bring them to justice.
"We welcome any such designations because it is reaffirmation of what we have always been saying that narco- terrorism is a threat not only to India but to the world beyond. Any designation of this sort indicates that there is an interest well beyond India to bring these people to justice," official spokesperson in the Ministry of External Affairs Syed Akbaruddin said.
"We would also urge that those countries who may harbour any of these should bring to them to justice," he said in an apparent reference to Pakistan", he said.
India has been maintaining that all three are in Pakistan and their names are among those who figure in the `most wanted` list given by New Delhi to Islamabad.
Targeting the "nexus of crime and terrorism" in South Asia, the US has designated Chhota Shakeel and Tiger Memon as key drug traffickers and slapped sanctions on them.
The US Department of the Treasury`s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated 57-year-old Shakeel and 52- year-old Memon as Specially Designated Narcotics Traffickers pursuant to the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin Designation Act (Kingpin Act) for their roles as part of a criminal organisation run by Dawood Ibrahim known as `D Company`.
56-year-old Dawood was named as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist in October 2003, and in June 2006, he was named as a Significant Foreign Narcotics Trafficker.
Also in June 2006, the Dawood organisation was named as a Significant Foreign Narcotics Trafficker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview