‘India will continue to train SL defence personnel’
New Delhi: India will continue to train Sri Lankan defence personnel at its establishments, Minister of State for Defence M M Pallam Raju said today, notwithstanding opposition by parties from Tamil Nadu.
The minister`s statement came against the backdrop of the demand for expulsion of two such Lankan officers from Defence Staff Services College in Wellington by the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalitha.
"Sri Lanka is a friendly foreign country and the training will go on. Sometimes there are objections raised by local governments which we have to take into consideration," Raju told reporters here.
The Minister was asked about the response of the Defence Ministry on Tamil Nadu Chief Minister`s demand.
In July, nine Sri Lankan defence personnel were removed from a training institution in Tambaram to Bangalore after opposition from political parties in the state.
In her letter, Jayalalithaa said such "reprehensible attitude" on part of the Centre was reflected in permitting two Sri Lankan defence personnel Major Dissanayaka Mohottalalage Vengra and Captain Hewawasam Kadaudage to undergo 11 months training at Defence Services Staff College at Wellington from May 19.
The Tamil Nadu chief minister has requested the Prime Minister to instruct the Defence Ministry to immediately halt the training being given to the two Sri Lankan defence personnel and send them back to their country immediately.
Meanwhile, Raju said the Defence Ministry has given its nod for operation of international flights from the Vishakhapatanam airport which is under the control of the Navy.
He said the timing of flight operations has been extended by three hours and international flights will start operating from October 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC