New Delhi: India will extradite a multiple- murder suspect of Bangladesh, who was arrested in Kolkata last month, if a local court gives its consent for his handing over to the neighbouring country.
Nur Hossain, wanted in Bangladesh for killing seven people in Dhaka`s satellite city Narayanganj about two months ago, is likely to be the first Bangladeshi to be deported from India since the signing of the extradition pact between the two countries in December 2013.
"We have received the extradition request. There is no problem in handing over the suspect to Bangladesh. But everything will depend on the decision of the Kolkata court which is hearing his case of his illegal entry into India," a Home Ministry official said.
Ministry officials has already spoken to the top police officers in Kolkata and they also gave their no objection to the extradition of Hossain.
If convicted for illegal entry, Hossain may have to undergo a prison term in Kolkata before he could be extradited to Bangladesh, the official said.
Hossain and two other Bangladeshi nationals were arrested on June 15 in Kolkata for not having valid documents for entering India. All three are currently in custody.
The seven massacre victims were first kidnapped by assailants from the suburban river port city on April 27 and their nearly decomposed bodies were retrieved from Shitalakya river on May 1.
The incident had sparked a massive public outcry in Bangladesh as the families of the victims alleged several personnel of elite anti-crime Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) were involved in the murders.
It had embarrassed Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina`s government and prompted it to immediately sack two army and navy officers.