India will remain a very important partner: US Official
Washington: Stating that Indo-US strategic ties have improved in the last eight years, a top US military leader said Wednesday that India would remain a very important partner of the United States in the region.
"Ties are much stronger there and that relationship has definitely improved in the last eight years," Commander of the US Pacific Command, Admiral Timothy Keating said here at the Centre for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS).
"I am convinced that India is and will remain a very important partner of ours in a critical part of the world for all of us," Keating said.
"They have committed to us their desire to increase military-to-military dialogue, quantity and quality of training exercises and to consider personnel exchanges on a
more robust, vigorous basis than we currently enjoy," Keating said.
Recollecting his first visit to India in the mid-80s alongwith Admiral William Crowe, Admiral Keating said the discussions he had at that time were not entirely fulfilling
"The engagement opportunities were almost marginal, and not much came of the visit," he said.
But things are different now, he said. "They are developing a naval capability that`s significant."
"They are currently undergoing a fighter fly-off. Many in the room are probably aware of this. The F-18 of the United States just returned. The F-16 is down there," he said.
"We will admit to a little bias. We prefer they buy American. It`s a particular platform. You know, just as long as they buy American, that`s fine with us. They`re buying some
P-8s and other United States military equipment, and that is all very encouraging to us," he said.
The US Pacific Command chief said the signature success of the Bush administration`s foreign policy in Asia was its rapprochement with India.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged