`India will remain cornerstone of Bhutan`s foreign policy`
New Delhi: Bhutan on Friday said its friendship with India is indispensable for its success in the future and reiterated that New Delhi will remain the cornerstone of its foreign policy.
Speaking at the banquet hosted by President Pranab Mukherjee here, Bhutan King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck said the two countries look ahead to a long journey "whose road will be paved with geo-political and historical foundations".
"Indo-Bhutan Friendship is indispensable for the future success of Bhutan," Wangchuck said in his speech. He recalled that his father had declared that India is the cornerstone of Bhutan`s foreign policy.
The Bhutan king will be the chief guest at India`s Republic Day programme tomorrow.
He described ties between the two countries as "borne on the spirit of trust, interdependence and constancy".
"India is the reservoir of the world`s greatest religions; the cradle of great thinkers and leaders; the home of almost 20 per cent of humanity; the guardian of more than half a billion citizens under 20 and the fertile ground for great young talent and discovery all flourishing under the world`s largest democracy," Wangchuck said.
He said Bhutan is proud to be India`s neighbour and closest friend.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside