`India will set up four more nuclear reactors by 2020`
Bhubaneswar: Keeping in view the ever
increasing energy requirement, India is all set to establish
at least four nuclear reactors besides the world`s first
thorium-based reactor by 2020.
This was stated by eminent scientist and director of
Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR), Kalpakkam,
Baldev Raj today while delivering a lecture on "Challenges and
Opportunities in Nuclear Energy" on the occasion of the 12th
National Technology Day celebrated by Nalco here.
Of the four nuclear reactors, he said two would be set up
at Kalpakkam in Tamil Nadu while locations for the other two
would be decided soon.
Stating that as many countries had stopped working on
developing thorium-based nuclear reactors, Raj pointed out
that India has emerged as a leader in this field.
Though there was a small thorium based nuclear reactors
at Kalpakkam, a big one would be developed there by 2018-19,
Stressing on research and development, he said a lot of
energy can be saved if the country uses innovative
technologies in generation of power.
As coal, oil, bio-fuel and other means of energy were
limited, the country needed to develop technologies for
generation of nuclear energy in order to sustain the growth of
10 per cent, he said.
To a question on thorium-based reactor, he said that as
the country was importing uranium for a long time, the new
technology to use thorium would be much helpful in meeting
the domestic requirement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!