India women migrants vulnerable to exploitation in Gulf : UN
New Delhi: Indian women form the third largest female migrant workforce from South Asia in the Gulf but often end up in vulnerable situations while working for employers there as justice is out of their reach, a latest U N report has said.
Titled `Migration of Women Workers from South Asia to the Gulf`, the report which was released on Monday, said that the migration of women from South Asia to Gulf was likely to increase despite conditions that could lead to exploitation.
"It is also likely that women migrants will continue to encounter discrimination and exploitation at different phases of the migration cycle, in both sending and receiving countries," the report said.
The report was also critical of provision that made it mandatory for female emigrants from India to have completed matriculation or be of 30 years of age.
"Though it was initiated with the objective to protect the rights of workers, anecdotal evidence indicates that the provision not only restricts the rights of women to work but also promotes unregulated migration, where female workers end up in more vulnerable situations", the report said.
The UN report said that in 2010, about 6.45 million international female migrants originated from south Asia of which Nepal sent the highest number followed by Sri Lanka and India. In 2010, Saudi Arabia received the highest proportion of Indian migrant workers to the Gulf region.
The report pointed out that recruitment in Gulf countries was carried out under the `kafala` system under which contracts were very individualised and made women workers highly dependent on their employer.
"Insufficient pre-departure orientation makes single women migrant workers vulnerable to exploitation and human rights abuse, as they are often duped by agents or employers," the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH