India working for all communities to find place in Sri Lanka: PM
Chennai: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has said that India was working towards finding the rightful place for all communities in Sri Lanka.
In a letter to DMK president M Karunanidhi dated June 11 - a copy of which was released to the media Monday - Singh said: "The government of India has consistently worked for all communities in Sri Lanka, including Sri Lankan Tamils to find their rightful place and live in harmony in that country."
He said India would continue to work for achieving that goal through a process of national reconciliation in Sri Lanka.
Singh was replying to Karunanidhi`s June 9 letter wherein the DMK chief had expressed possible steps to repeal the 13th amendment to the Sri Lankan constitution and cancel the proposed elections to the Northern Provincial Council this September.
According to Singh, the matter has to be decided by all the political parties in Sri Lanka while India will consider the implications and make its views known to the island nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video