India working for all communities to find place in Sri Lanka: PM
Chennai: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has said that India was working towards finding the rightful place for all communities in Sri Lanka.
In a letter to DMK president M Karunanidhi dated June 11 - a copy of which was released to the media Monday - Singh said: "The government of India has consistently worked for all communities in Sri Lanka, including Sri Lankan Tamils to find their rightful place and live in harmony in that country."
He said India would continue to work for achieving that goal through a process of national reconciliation in Sri Lanka.
Singh was replying to Karunanidhi`s June 9 letter wherein the DMK chief had expressed possible steps to repeal the 13th amendment to the Sri Lankan constitution and cancel the proposed elections to the Northern Provincial Council this September.
According to Singh, the matter has to be decided by all the political parties in Sri Lanka while India will consider the implications and make its views known to the island nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician