India worried over Pak tunnels near border
New Delhi: A piece of information from intelligence agencies has left the Indian government worried – that Pakistan is in the process of building tunnels close to the border.
A newspaper report claimed on Monday that the tunnels have come up in Sargodha district of Pakistan’s Punjab province. These can even be noticed on satellite imagery available on Google Earth.
The newspaper quoted an unnamed official as saying that the agencies were trying to find out the purpose behind digging up such tunnels that are huge in size. The tunnels are not meant to serve transportation purpose as they have no links to roads, the official added.
It is believed that Pakistan has constructed in the past storage sheds for missiles and weapons in Sargodha, which is one of Islamabad’s nuclear installations. But the size of the new tunnels has caused an alarm in the government, as New Delhi suspects Pakistan could use these tunnels to store battle-ready nuclear weapons or missiles.
It has yet to be ascertained whether the move to construct tunnels is a precautionary measure, considering Taliban and other terror groups pose security threat to the sensitive Sargodha nuclear facility. The first terror strike on a Pakistani nuclear installation had taken place in Sargodha only, in November 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'