India would take up issue of child`s expatriation
New Delhi: External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid Thursday assured a delegation led by CPI(M) leader Brinda Karat that India would take up with the US the need to immediately expatriate a one-year-old Indian baby who is in foster care since September last year.
Karat, lawyer Suranya Aiyar and others met Khurshid and explained in detail about their demand that the child born to Debashish and Pamela Saha of West Bengal, be sent to India to be with his grandparents.
"We represented to the Minister on this issue. He assured us that he would personally take up with the US the urgency of releasing the child from foster care," Karat said.
She said they also reminded the Khurshid of the Prime Minister`s statement that India would take care of the interests of its people living abroad.
"In this context, we drew the attention of Mr Khurshid and he assured us that he will take it up," she said.
The activists and retired judges A P Shah and Mukul Mudgal had last week petitioned US Ambassador Nancy Powell for the repatriation of the child.
The child, an Indian citizen, was taken away from his parents by US foster care authorities in September last year.
His parents are contesting the case in the US.
The baby`s parents want him to be returned to relatives back in India, activists said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!