India would take up issue of child`s expatriation
New Delhi: External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid Thursday assured a delegation led by CPI(M) leader Brinda Karat that India would take up with the US the need to immediately expatriate a one-year-old Indian baby who is in foster care since September last year.
Karat, lawyer Suranya Aiyar and others met Khurshid and explained in detail about their demand that the child born to Debashish and Pamela Saha of West Bengal, be sent to India to be with his grandparents.
"We represented to the Minister on this issue. He assured us that he would personally take up with the US the urgency of releasing the child from foster care," Karat said.
She said they also reminded the Khurshid of the Prime Minister`s statement that India would take care of the interests of its people living abroad.
"In this context, we drew the attention of Mr Khurshid and he assured us that he will take it up," she said.
The activists and retired judges A P Shah and Mukul Mudgal had last week petitioned US Ambassador Nancy Powell for the repatriation of the child.
The child, an Indian citizen, was taken away from his parents by US foster care authorities in September last year.
His parents are contesting the case in the US.
The baby`s parents want him to be returned to relatives back in India, activists said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in