Indian air-carriers as yet undecided on fare hike
Hyderabad: Indian air-carriers, both
state-run and in the private sector, are assessing the impact
of a ten per cent service tax on domestic air travel, but have
not yet taken a call on whether to pass the burden on to
"We are studying the impact and assessing how much we
can absorb," Government-owned Air India`s Chairman & Managing
Director, Arvind Jadhav, told reporters on the sidelines of
the `India Aviation 2010` event here today.
Private carriers too are evaluating the impact of the
"We are still examining the issue. A decision (on
hiking fares) will be taken at an appropriate time," private
sector Jet Airways` Chairman, Naresh Goyal, said.
The Government has brought domestic air travel under
the service tax regime and imposed a ten per cent tax on
domestic air tickets. The announcement was made while
presenting the Union budget.
No-frills private air-carrier, SpiceJet, is also
adopting a wait-and-watch stance, maintaining it would decide
on a fare hike only after due deliberation.
"We will assess the impact first before coming out
with any decision," its CEO, Sanjay Aggarwal, said.
Vijay Mallya-owned Kingfisher Airlines` spokesperson
also said the carrier would come out with its decision later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack