Indian ambassador summoned by Italy over Marines issue
Rome: Italy has summoned India`s ambassador to insist that India`s Supreme Court issue a decision soon concerning two Italian marines detained since February for the deaths of two Indian fishermen mistaken for pirates.
Italy maintains the shooting occurred in international waters and that as a result, Rome should have jurisdiction.
India claims the ship was in Indian territorial waters. The Indian Supreme Court is to decide on Italy`s petition to try the sailors at home.
In a statement today, the Foreign Ministry said it was "profoundly bewildered" why the court hasn`t ruled even though arguments ended three months ago. It asked for a decision before Christmas.
The sailors were providing security on a cargo ship when they allegedly shot the fishermen. The dispute has strained diplomatic relations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by Fadnavis, Rijiju; Aviation Minister apologises
- Washington Navy Yard lockdown: As it happened