Indian ambassador summoned by Italy over Marines issue
Rome: Italy has summoned India`s ambassador to insist that India`s Supreme Court issue a decision soon concerning two Italian marines detained since February for the deaths of two Indian fishermen mistaken for pirates.
Italy maintains the shooting occurred in international waters and that as a result, Rome should have jurisdiction.
India claims the ship was in Indian territorial waters. The Indian Supreme Court is to decide on Italy`s petition to try the sailors at home.
In a statement today, the Foreign Ministry said it was "profoundly bewildered" why the court hasn`t ruled even though arguments ended three months ago. It asked for a decision before Christmas.
The sailors were providing security on a cargo ship when they allegedly shot the fishermen. The dispute has strained diplomatic relations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack