Indian ambassador summoned by Italy over Marines issue
Rome: Italy has summoned India`s ambassador to insist that India`s Supreme Court issue a decision soon concerning two Italian marines detained since February for the deaths of two Indian fishermen mistaken for pirates.
Italy maintains the shooting occurred in international waters and that as a result, Rome should have jurisdiction.
India claims the ship was in Indian territorial waters. The Indian Supreme Court is to decide on Italy`s petition to try the sailors at home.
In a statement today, the Foreign Ministry said it was "profoundly bewildered" why the court hasn`t ruled even though arguments ended three months ago. It asked for a decision before Christmas.
The sailors were providing security on a cargo ship when they allegedly shot the fishermen. The dispute has strained diplomatic relations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Telangana TS EAMCET Results 2016: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) results to be declared today on May 26 (Thursday) on www.tseamcet.in at 11 AM
- World leaders kick off G7 talks with economy, terrorism and refugees in focus
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department