Indian-American body seeks UNSC seat for India
Washington: The National Federation of Indian American Associations (NFIA), an umbrella body of Indian community organizations, has called upon the United Nations to give India a permanent seat on the Security Council.
The call was made in a resolution adopted at NFIA`s Oct 12-14 17th biennial convention in Chicago inaugurated by the Consul General of India, Mukta Dutta Tomar.
The NFIA members also approved two other resolutions condemning last August`s brutal attack on a Sikh Temple in Oak Creek Wisconsin and requesting the Government of India to establish a Training Centre of Emergency Preparedness and Response.
Welcoming the delegates from all over the United States to Chicago Tomar paid glowing tributes to the Indian American community saying the people of India origin have proved themselves in a tough global competitive environment.
Through their innovative, dynamic, pioneering qualities, they continue to produce new generation of talented individuals, good corporate and social citizens and enterprising and creative professionals, she said.
Studies support that over 3 million immigrants from India living in the US are one of the most remarkable concentration of Indians, Tomar noted.
Seventy percent of them over the age of 25 are college graduates, 67 percent over the age of 16 are professionals and the median income of Indian household is over $90,000, the highest among all ethnic groups in the United States.
A joint UC Berkeley-Duke University study revealed that Indian American immigrants have founded more engineering and technology companies from 1995 to 2005 than immigrants from UK, China, Taiwan and Japan combined.
The convention also saw several seminars spread over 10 sessions. The first plenary session was titled "Indian American Making an Impact in America".
Dr. Ann Lata Kalayil, General Services Administration Administrator for Great Lakes Region was the keynote speaker. Anju Bhargava, a member of White House Office of Faith-based and Neighbourhood Partnership also addressed the session.
There was a spirited discussion on the political involvement of the community and the success it has achieved in this area. Toby Chaudhary, a political activist from Washington DC, urged the audience to wake up and participate in the mainstream politics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared