Indian-American father-son duo quits Obama administration
Washington: An Indian-American father-son duo, possibly the only one serving in senior positions in the Obama Administration, is leaving their positions for private sector jobs.
Popularly known as Obama`s Export Czar, the father, Suresh Kumar, as Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Trade and Promotion, played a key role in achieving President Barack Obama`s ambitious goal of doubling exports in five years. He also played a key role in improving India-US commercial relationship.
Kumar stewarded the Administration`s export push through a period of extraordinary results: exports moved up from 11 percent of GDP to 14 percent on his watch and the country is on track to deliver Obama`s goal of doubling exports by 2014.
His son Aditya Kumar, who serves as the Deputy Assistant to Vice-President Joe Biden and Senior Advisor to his Chief of Staff, also left Monday for the private sector.
"It is a coincidence," Suresh Kumar, who is Director General of the US & Foreign Commercial Service (USFCS), said announcing his decision to leave the Obama Administration after successfully implementing the presidential mandate.
"After two extraordinary years of leading the USFCS and achieving most of what I set out to do, I have informed the White House and the Department of my desire to return to the private sector. At their request, I will continue to serve until March 2, to facilitate a smooth transition," he said in his `dear colleague` letter to his team.
"Your hard work has contributed to 16 percent compounded annual growth in US exports since the launch of the National Export Initiative (NEI), and we are on track to deliver the President`s goal of doubling exports between 2009 and 2014," Kumar wrote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah