Indian-American father-son duo quits Obama administration
Washington: An Indian-American father-son duo, possibly the only one serving in senior positions in the Obama Administration, is leaving their positions for private sector jobs.
Popularly known as Obama`s Export Czar, the father, Suresh Kumar, as Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Trade and Promotion, played a key role in achieving President Barack Obama`s ambitious goal of doubling exports in five years. He also played a key role in improving India-US commercial relationship.
Kumar stewarded the Administration`s export push through a period of extraordinary results: exports moved up from 11 percent of GDP to 14 percent on his watch and the country is on track to deliver Obama`s goal of doubling exports by 2014.
His son Aditya Kumar, who serves as the Deputy Assistant to Vice-President Joe Biden and Senior Advisor to his Chief of Staff, also left Monday for the private sector.
"It is a coincidence," Suresh Kumar, who is Director General of the US & Foreign Commercial Service (USFCS), said announcing his decision to leave the Obama Administration after successfully implementing the presidential mandate.
"After two extraordinary years of leading the USFCS and achieving most of what I set out to do, I have informed the White House and the Department of my desire to return to the private sector. At their request, I will continue to serve until March 2, to facilitate a smooth transition," he said in his `dear colleague` letter to his team.
"Your hard work has contributed to 16 percent compounded annual growth in US exports since the launch of the National Export Initiative (NEI), and we are on track to deliver the President`s goal of doubling exports between 2009 and 2014," Kumar wrote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested